Mold is an infection that can affect our health
European University of Lefke (EUL) Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics Faculty Member, Assist. Prof. Dr. Tuba Günebak talked about ways to prevent mold growth in foods.
“Mold is an infection that can affect human health rather than just a microorganism that reproduces in food. The fact that the kitchen is a moist area also facilitates the growth of mold. The molds can be green, black or white. ”Günebak said that when food becomes moldy, its taste, appearance, color and smell changed. Stating that mycotoxins produced especially in cereal products and nuts are very dangerous for human health, Günebak said, “Aflatoxin is a mold toxin that can reproduce especially in oilseeds such as peanuts, corn and dried fruits and is very risky in terms of human health. There are studies in which he is even associated with liver cancer. ”
Mold in a moldy food while in an open area can contaminate another clean food by air
“The most effective way to prevent mold growth in foods is to buy food that can be consumed in a short time,” said Günebak. And she listed the ways to prevent mold production in food as follows:
- Examine foods well before purchasing. Do not take the ones that are injured from fresh foods, prefer the ones that appear inside the package (such as glass jars) in the closed package. Although it is healthier not to prefer processed meat products, if you prefer to purchase, examine the product thoroughly for visible contamination.
- When you store a product (in the refrigerator or cellar), be sure to cover it. Because mold spores can fly from one food to another (by air).
- Do not keep the opened product in the refrigerator for more than three days.
- The most effective way to protect against mold is to be clean. Because, mold in a moldy food with an open mouth can contaminate (contaminate) another clean food.
- Make sure to clean the inside of the refrigerator regularly (at least once a month). Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to the cleaning water.
- Ventilate your kitchen every day.
Wash your sinks every day with vinegar.